Thursday, August 19, 2010

Baked and Wired

If you ever find yourself in Georgetown and see a pink bicycle on the street... halt, look up, and prepare yourself for utter deliciousness - you're at Baked and Wired:


This place is awesome.

My TP and I found ourselves in Georgetown one sunny Sunday evening and decided to try and satisfy our craving for bubble tea (or what TP affectionately calls "boba").

In our quest, however, we snagged a money (parking) spot that happened to be right next to the (in)famous Georgetown Cupcake location in D.C. TP asked me if I wanted to try it and I said "yes" - even though I only wanted to try it to hate it.

But then, we turned the corner and saw this:


There was no way that we were about to wait in a line that stretched nearly a city block for one measly little cuppy cake.

We continued our quest for bubble tea but on our way to this place called Snap, our eyes were diverted by this:


TP had the good sense to put our boba quest on hold and take a look inside this pink portal - and what treasures we did find.

The cupcakes at Baked and Wired are huge. Massive. Made for 2 - but can be eaten by 1, of course.


We got the Smurfette - a seasonal flavor: fresh blueberries based into vanilla cake with lemon buttercream frosting. (Sorry, I don't have a photo - I was completely lost in the amazing goodness of it all.)

TP also picked the nutella brownie and the apricot crunch bar with an oatmeal crust.

The Cake: pretty dense and full of flavor - the blueberries were whole and so fresh, the vanilla was warm, yet delicate
The Frosting: the buttercream itself was the perfect balance of air and substance, and the lemon was just tangy enough with it acidity to compliment its sweetness
Overall: A+

The Bar: the oatmeal crust was perfectly buttery, but mostly made up of oats (probably steel cut), it was a fairly thin layer on the bottom, and filled with what was undeniably Bonne Maman apricot preserves (aka. the best), with another helping of an oatmeal crumble on top, this was one of the best fruit bars I've ever tasted
Overall: A+

The Brownie: you could barely taste any Nutella in the brownie and it was frosted with chocolate (which you may or may not prefer), the size and density of the brownie itself was good and there weren't too many nuts in it, but in the end it was just a brownie
Overall: B-

Even the "wired" (coffee) part of the store was good eats - excuse me, drinks.

Next time, I want to try the Vanilla Latte cupcake and I know TP wants to try the Chai cupcake:


I may also have to try a big ass cookie and a slice of TWSS cake:



I will have to try Georgetown Cupcake eventually - but only to confirm that Baked and Wired is far superior.

0 comments:

Post a Comment